Thursday 7 March 2013

World Book Day



It is World Book Week today so I thought I would share what I have been reading. The Nations Favourite Poems (1996: BBC Books) came about as a result of a poll to discover the nations favourite poem and coincided with National Poetry Day in 1995. I have enjoyed reminding myself of some childhood favourites such as Jabberwocky by Lewis Carol, and The Owl and the Pussy-Cat by Edward Lear. (Once a cat lover always a cat lover.) Last night I read Stop all the Clocks (Twelve Songs IX or 'Funeral Blues') by W.H. Auden and heard it in the voice of John Hannah who played Matthew in Four Weddings and a Funeral. However, the poem that most spoke to me last night, continuing my recent blogging thinking of stopping, resting, and looking, is this one: 


Leisure by W H Davies

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this, if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and let me know what your thoughts are. Open to all but please don't be rude!